Two thing I’ve learned.
One: When you are around people, don’t leave your laptop open for everyone to see.
Two: When in public don’t look up ways of killing someone…
Yes, you’re a writer. I’m a writer, but some people won’t understand.
I know you lose touch with reality, and while you are in the moment of writing you think to yourself, “How many stab wounds does it take to kill someone with a fork?”
Well… maybe not that exact question, but something equally as strange/awkward/psychopathic…
And there you go, onto the Google, finding articles on how different people were killed by forks or other kinds of cutlery. That leads to pictures, because you need some idea on what the wounds look like, which leads to you making a folder full of reference material on your laptop, which leads to someone asking why there’s a folder named ‘Stabby McStabby’ on your desktop, which leads to you trying to explain to them why you have these pictures/ references in the first place.
This can go three ways:
One: The person who is asking you understands, because they too have a McStabby Folder on their desktop.
Two: The person doesn’t understand but accepts your ‘unique’ interest because they like you for you.
Three: They avoid you like the plague whenever you are around because they don’t want to be the Cutlery Killer’s next victim.
Either way, I’ve begun to leave this warning sign on my laptop both as a display picture and screensaver for the reason I keep forgetting to close my reference material in public. Luckily I hang out in places where nurses and other medical professionals spend their time… so I don’t get too many strange looks. XD
When it comes to building a race/society it can be hard to know where to start. You are all these awesome ideas about what your want them to look like, and act like… but what else should your include? There are a lot of things that go into determining race/ society and that’s why I am posting this.
I’ve spent a long time making notes surrounding a certain race or society I was creating. After all… I created a world and therefore I should have some idea on how much work goes into ensuring its diversity. XD
And so, I give you, Classy’s List to Building a Race/ Society.
This list has a lot of questions that can help you organize your ideas and hopefully flush out what you need to get a solid idea about building your race/ society. You don’t have to use them all, I know on certain races/societies I didn’t, but the questions are there to help. 🙂
>.<CLASSY’S LIST TO BUILDING A RACE/SOCIETY>.<
- What is your race’s name? Do they have more than one name, (scientific, common, nickname)?
- What are some common names found within your race? Do those in your race have middle names? Do those in this race have last names? Do they have more than one name?
- What are the general personality traits of the race? Are they generally more blunt, brutish, gentle or naive? Do they treat people differently depending on rank or social status?
- What does your race look like, (skin colour, hair colour, eye colour, special markings)? Clothing or jewellery? Weapons? Do they all look similar to one another or are they diverse in appearance?
- Was the race created or did they evolve?
- Does your race have their own language or share a language?
- How does your race live in their area? Do they live in clans or tribes? Do they have settlements, or cities? What are the inter-racial differences between each social group within your race? Are they social groups, or are they equals?
- What are some traditions? Do they follow the same belief within their communities or do they follow different beliefs?
- What are their religious views? Do they have a religion? What do they believe in, if anything?
- How does your race look at relationships? Political? Romantic?
- What is your races beliefs/ opinions around gender (male, female, other) and sexuality (homosexual, bi/pansexual, asexual, heterosexual, etc)?
- What happened historically involving your race? Wars? Discoveries? Social movements?
- Where is your race found? Does your race migrate or immigrate to other parts of the world? Where did they originate? How large is the population of your race? Are they spread out? Are their only a few?
- What jobs does your race favour?
- Is your race advanced?
- What part(s) of the world was your race responsible in establishing?
- Who are some famous people within your race? Heroes? Peacekeepers? Politicians? Entertainers?
For those who don’t know what the difference between race and society is, I’ve written definitions below. There are more complicated explanations found online, just search race defined in sociology or society defined in sociology. This will give you a better idea on what the differences are, and may also help you create your own questions to build from.
Race means a group of people believed to share certain physical characteristics (hair colour, skin colour, bone structure, etc).
Society means a group of people within a certain cultural or social structure, that share similar or the same beliefs or values.